Why are CO detectors so important?
"CO knocks out." - Why do I need a CO detector?
Carbon monoxide and the hidden dangers affect everyone. But not everyone is aware of these dangers. For this reason, the initiative for the prevention of carbon monoxide poisoning was founded in 2018.
The aim is to educate the population in Germany about the health hazards of carbon monoxide (CO). What is particularly insidious about carbon monoxide is that the respiratory poison can neither be seen, smelled nor tasted. In the worst case, one is exposed to the toxic gas without protection and without noticing anything.
Since this topic and the sensitization is also very important for us, we have joined this association as a member.
Sources of danger for toxic carbon monoxide
There are several sources of toxic carbon monoxide hazards, such as gas boilers, heating systems, clogged chimneys, fireplaces and stoves, gas stoves, and indoor barbecues.
Technical defects, clogged or leaking exhaust air pipes and insufficient fresh air supply can cause carbon monoxide to escape.
Here are some concrete examples:
- Burning wood produces toxic carbon monoxide. Always have your fireplace installed by a professional.
- A clogged chimney, e.g. by a bird or wasp nest, can be life-threatening. This is because a backlog in the chimney can prevent the combustion gases from escaping.
- Charcoal grills, gas grills or radiant heaters are a deadly danger in closed rooms (including garages).
- Wherever gas is burned in an open flame, such as in a gas stove, a technical defect can lead to increased CO concentration.
Assess symptoms correctly and prevent dangers
Whitout a Carbon monoxide detector in the house, the family doctor, for example, cannot make a correct diagnosis.
When inhaled, the respiratory poison enters the bloodstream via the lungs. It quickly displaces oxygen and blocks its uptake in the blood. Organs - first of all the brain - are no longer supplied with sufficient oxygen. If there is a high concentration of carbon monoxide, the person becomes unconscious.
Over a longer period of time the poison can lead to chronic poisoning.
If you have some or more symptoms such as impaired vision, dizziness, severe headaches or nausea to vomiting, you should consult a doctor immediately.
Protect yourself and prevent hazards by installing a carbon monoxide detector in the right place.
The CO detector from brennenstuhl®.
Also note the following things:
- Regular maintenance of heaters, gas boilers and instantaneous water heaters
- Under no circumstances use a charcoal grill or radiant heater in closed rooms (including garages)
- Regular inspection of the chimney by the chimney sweep
- Ensure sufficient ventilation
- Install circulating air hoods instead of exhaust air hoods in kitchens